Thank you guys so much for all of your kind words about my upcoming cookbook. And for all of you who signed up to be recipe testers, I will be in touch shortly – get those grills ready!
Today I wanted to share one of my new favorite treats for breakfast or lunch – Avocado-Bacon Toasts. These are right up there with tomato sandwiches as evidence of just how sublimely delicious the simplest sandwiches can be. Who would ever guess that smashing a creamy, ripe avocado on grilled bread with a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkling of salt could be so…well, actually when you start to visualize it in your mind it’s easy to imagine why avocado lovers fall for this treat.
For me, a few slices of crisp, smoky bacon take these toasts up one impressive flavor notch, but if you prefer to leave the bacon off you’ll still have something simply incredible.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 4 minutes | Total time: 9 minutes
Yield: 4 toasts
- 4 slices rustic white or wheat bread
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices crispy cooked bacon
- 2 ripe medium avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Coarse salt to taste
- Heat the panini maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Drizzle olive oil over each slice of bread and grill the bread, two slices at a time, until they’re toasted, about 2 minutes.
- For each toast: Criss-cross two slices of bacon on a slice of grilled bread. Lay an avocado half on top of the bacon and smash it with the back of a spoon to spread it around the toast. Squeeze lime juice over the top and season the avocado with coarse salt to taste.
Join Dine & Dish and Cookin’ Canuck for the California Avocado 4th of July Blast, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.