So now that we’ve recapped on my Top 16 Grilled Cheese Recipes, let’s go ahead and add a few more to that list during Grilled Cheese Month, shall we? You don’t need to wait until summer to love today’s new recipe – Sweet Corn Grilled Cheese with Smoked Gouda, Scallions, and Chile Butter.
Raise your hand if you’ve ever put corn in a grilled cheese sandwich…anyone?
Yeah, I hadn’t either until this past summer. Now, I’m in love with it. Think hot, sweet, and smoky corn chowder in sandwich form, surrounded by chile-buttered and grilled sourdough. I snapped a quick Instagram photo when I first tried it out (right before I went in for a taste):
I don’t know which I love more – the crunch and heat of the chile butter on the sourdough, or the sweet corn dotting the smoky Gouda (smoked cheddar is another great option, and it melts better than Gouda). By all means, don’t wait until summer to taste this! Give it a try with frozen corn any time of the year.
Sweet Corn Grilled Cheese with Smoked Gouda, Scallions, and Chile Butter
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 slices sourdough or other rustic white bread, sliced from a dense bakery loaf
- 8 ounces smoked Gouda or smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cooked corn, ideally fresh from the cob
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- In a small bowl mix the butter, chile powder, and cayenne pepper until they’re well combined.
- For each sandwich: Spread chile butter on two slices of bread to flavor the outside of the sandwich. Flip over one slice of bread and top it with cheese, corn, scallions, and more cheese. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill two panini at a time, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 4 to 5 minutes.