I made Cheddar, Manchego and Sundried Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese on a bit of a whim (although grilled cheese at my house is never entirely unexpected ). Sometimes interesting things result when you open the fridge and explore a little. A little jar of sundried tomato pesto caught my eye and I immediately thought of the fabulous Cowgirl Creamery chipotle pesto grilled cheese I had up in San Francisco a week or so ago. Matched with tangy, buttery sharp cheddar and my favorite sheep’s milk manchego, the combination is a lot like grilled cheese and tomato soup…which is a pretty awesome combination.
And, yes, my “good camera” is still in working order, and I promise I’ll use it again soon. But to be honest, it’s spur-of-the-moment, ooh-I’ve-got-to-capture-this Instagram pics like the one above that are speaking to me most these days. No setup, no tethering, no styling, no light bouncing…just good food, shared. That’s where I’m at right now. I hope you enjoy them too!
Cheddar, Manchego and Sundried Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 panini
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 pound manchego cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices rustic sourdough bread, sliced from a bakery loaf
- 4 tablespoons sundried tomato pesto
- Heat the panini press to medium-high heat.
- Toss the cheddar and manchego together in a small bowl, combining the cheeses well.
- For each sandwich: Spread butter on two slices of bread to flavor the outside of the sandwich. Flip over both bread slices and spread sundried tomato pesto on the inside of each. Top one slice of bread, on the pesto side, with 1/4 of the cheddar-manchego mix. Close the sandwich with the other bread slice, buttered side up.
- Grill two panini at a time, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 4 to 5 minutes.